Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pretend Play: Doctor "Kit"



Remember the "DOCTOR LAB COAT"?



I have a daughter that is fascinated with anything "medical".....could it be the various doctors and nurses in the family??  After I made the doctor coat for her, I made another coat for my nephews to play with.  That opened up "a whole other can of worms"....a doctor needs "stuff" in order to BE a doctor!!


DOCTOR LIST:

Doctor Coat:    Made from a white button down collared shirt from Goodwill (see how here: http://piecesforreese.blogspot.com/2010/09/pretend-play-doctor-lab-coat.html )
Scrubs:    I found several sets of scrubs at Goodwill (pictured here in black)
Stethoscope:    this one is from Lakeshore Learning ($8.95)
Various Syringes:    veterinarian supplies from Tractor Supply (from $.29 to $1.50 each)
Ace Bandage:    Dollar Store ($1)
Magnifying Glass:    Dollar Store ($1)
BandAids:    On hand
Wooden "tongue depressors":    On hand - wooden craft sticks
Surgeon Glasses:    safety glasses from Dollar Store ($1)
Latex Gloves:    these can be found in dollar bins at Target/Walmart ($1/pack)
Face Masks:    Dollar Store ($1)
Surgical "cap":    shower cap from Dollar Store ($1/set of 3)
"Medicine":    used medicine bottles that are now EMPTY and CLEAN (FREE)
********DISCLAIMER:  do NOT give a child REAL MEDICINE to play with.....these bottles have NOTHING IN THEM!!!!********
Wooden "tweezers":    wooden bread tongs from Bed Bath & Beyond ($?)
Doctor Kit:    small plastic box from Joann ($6 on sale)
Keys:    old keys (wash in dish soap and dry well)....just for FUN! (FREE)


I then used some pieces of craft felt and sewed small pockets that fit the individual small pieces, like syringes and BandAids, so they wouldn't get lost.  I folded the top of the craft felt over and sewed, creating a sleeve for a belt to be placed.  Now the kids can "wear" the doctor pockets while they perform  "exams" or even "surgery"!  FUN!!

I have tested the "fun factor" on my daughter......it's a HUGE HIT!!
*****
Please feel free to use these plans to build furniture, for sale or for pleasure, but please do not sell the PLANS as your "own".  Please also give credit to me and link back here!  I hope you enjoy them!!

***I am NOT LIABLE for any plans featured here. Please take every precaution and use your own discretion to make sure these toys are safe for children to play with them.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I'm sure your daughter will be a great doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or a question - I don't bite and would love to write back, especially if you'd like help or have questions!!